Monday, May 07, 2007

Power Symbols

More on power symbols: I put on my red shirt yesterday, it was one of my shirts I'm wearing until it has to be washed and folded. It has a lightning bolt on the front, a copy of The Flash's lightning bolt. In fact, I might have bought the shirt at a comics store in Long Beach. That was 1997. I like the shirt, not to show my affinity for the flash, although I'm sure he's super, but because of the simple, bright and straightforward symbol it is.

This goes back to my (mild) fetish for symbols of power.

I noticed EG&G (the company) has a symbol, and it's not that great. I wonder how much they paid for it. Most corporate symbols to my mind don't convey a lot of power, they're just branding. Although I have to admit, I like Lockheed Martin's star point (just the upper right hand point that usually accompanies their company name. By and large it's branding rather than power that companies are after, so their logos and typeface are boring and office-y. Lockheed Martin is a good example of a company whose power comes from the powerful products they make, especially the military toys. In that sense they're like Coke, where Coke puts a small symbol at the corner of a picture of people enjoying life (we are an integral part of your culture), Lockheed Martin puts a their logo at the bottom of a picture with a supertech weapon, fighter, vehicle, whatever they are building. This is power in a sense too, the military might of a country.

No comments: