Thursday, May 06, 2010

All You People using Blogger

Hey all you people using blogger! Most especially, those who require a gmail account to even look at your updates, please at least open up to the idea that maybe not everyone has gmail or needs gmail. The missus and I like having email acounts that are on different services, so that I don't have to sign out when she signs in and vice versa.

She's on yahoo and I'm on gmail.

Both services are good, I would go so far as to say they're probably the best options for anyone needing a permanent email address. It works out for her to have the yahoo account as well, since yahoo has the .au but gmail does not, and she's the Aussie in this relationship.

So what ends up happening, is that she has to sign in using my account to view those locked down blogger blogs, and that inevitably leads to confusion because readers of those comments will end up here.

4 comments:

Peace said...

Huh? I get the two different services idea but what does that have to do with blogger? Forgive my ignorance please. :)

Toby O said...

I didn't even bother to proof what I'd written it was sortof blurt.

Went back and edited for clarity.

Peace said...

Are you talking about blogs that are set as private? Can't they send a permission to each of you so you can both read?
On a different but related subject, I use google reader to read updates to blogs and the private ones will not display at all over there, that can be frustrating as I can see google reader at work but absolutely cannot read any blogs so if I have to click thru to see them I am out of luck. No lunch break reading for me. Ha Ha

Toby O said...

Yes, the blogs that are locked down. I understand there was a bit of a reaction when someone in Utah was trolling blogs to find victims and a lot of blogs closed up and became invitation only. Just recently we went back to a blog that was open to start with and is now closed, and ONLY allows google accounts, which have been accepted/approved to read the blog.

I use netvibes to aggregate and it is truly convenient, but I mostly read open public blogs like boing boing or wwdn (wil wheaton).

Locked down blogs are a pain, but then again, each person has to set their own comfort level in cyberspace. For myself, I realise I am taking a risk, but it's a calculated risk, just like getting in the car and driving down the highway. At the same time I am purposely more obscure with information about others, and try not to provide too much context.