Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Consumery

Today's topic: The items I want.
Today walking from the metro to my cube in the cube on the block, I was obsessing, just mildly, if one can obsess mildly, about my next purchase in the carryall arena. I also came up with a great retort for my co-worker's snide comment, "You headed to school?" I carry a backpack which holds laptop and paper equally well. My retort, approximately 21 hours too late is, "No, cause then I'd have my briefcase."

Back to carreyall carryall territory: I'd get a Crumpler bag. I think the Timbuk 2 bags are 1) way too popular, and 2) I'd spend hours trying to decide what three colors to use. I think I added Crumpler to my Amazon wish list, there for all to see and buy for me. The link is at the right, right now.

And then I grew introspective after having noticed my mildly obsessive fixation on having a Crumpler bag, well before it's needed, since my Jansport is probably still good for another 2-3 years at least, and I saw a small unimportant pattern in my life of fixating on certain things and simply having to have them. This pattern, however, clearly, doesn't predict that I will actually fully and completely like the item fixated on, but I tend to think that yes I will like, while I want and don't yet have. This non-predictive relationship between my wants/fixations and my actual satisfaction with the product leads me to wish I didn't fixate on things, since much of those thoughts are a waste of time and eventually probably a waste of money.

I just thought of something else I will probably ponder thoughtlessly: Rayban Wayfarers. They're coming after this aviator craze is over, and after the blowfly look has gone. I want to be ahead of the curve. But for what? Just to have them? Just to BE ahead of the curve? No, not really, I've always thought it was a cool look. The wife says I shouldn't get black, it's too harsh.

Next topic: wearing wayfarer-shaped glasses, and looking somewhat 60's retro, and me, in front of a meeting of serious people, expecting them to take me seriously.

No comments: